Saturday 2 May 2015

The Best Indie Songs of 2015 - Selaphonic


Listening to Selahphonic’s Heartbreak Heartbreak(March’15) sent me on a trawl through British 80’s pop trying to find something. From The Pet Shop Boys to The Communards to Boy George and a lot in between. I never did find what I was looking for. Unless you can count a healthy appreciation for how much better today’s music is.

So about Heartbreak Heartbreak, I’ll say this. The chorus is a ripper. A shoutalong chorus, “New York, New York you seem alright”. Great campy fun. The rest is lightweight and I could live without it. Lots of synths and girly man vocals. I could live without but I’d rather not because this song is big sunshiny fun and that’s enough to make this one of the best indie songs of 2015.


“She stares at me while watching another
In a not so subtle way
Her eyes commit but my fear says another”
 
 




Selahphonic are an indie electro pop band originally from Melbourne but now playing out of the Sunshine Coast, Australia. The band started in 2011 according to their Facebook page. Heartbreak Heartbreak is a stand-alone single and they have a long player Elephantt in the vault.

Shit you need to know:
This reviewer said Heartbreak Heartbreak has a “…sophisticated and contemporary vibe”.
The bands website describes the song as “when 80’s synthesizers and chimey guitars birth indie­ pop love children in the peak of summertime.”

The bands influences are Two Door Cinema Club, The Killers, Bleachers, Walk the Moon, Phoenix, The Wombats, Calvin Harris, Temper Trap, Story of the Year, Art vs Science, Radiohead, Muse and Pink Floyd.

Selahphonic describe their music as “...four-on-the-floor beats celebrate analog synths and chimey guitar hooks.”

Selahphonic have played in many high schools with the aim of “…sparking conversation around issues like identity, loneliness, bullying, sexuality and hope.” They are happy clappys.

Talking about their gigs this band member said it's great to give people the freedom to dance and cut loose and “when the ribbons come out, that’s when it just starts getting plain weird, but whatever.”

For more Selahphonic sunshine happy goodness try “Kids of Hollywood.”




The double team is a bit of a manly palate cleanser. Here is the Sydney rock band Sick Puppies and their monster hit, the rebel rouser Riptide (2011).

“ I ... I won't justify...
The way I live my life
'Cause I'm the one livin' it...
Feelin' it... tastin' it…


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment