Monday 26 October 2015

The Best Indie Songs of 2015 - Friska Viljor


Firska Viljor are an indie pop duo from Stockholm, Sweden who started in 2005 and have six long players under their belt. My Boys (Jun’15) comes snapping off their album My Name Is Friska Viljor (Jun’15). My Boys was reviewed as “...like a hurricane whipping a legion of musical elements and nostalgic moments up into the eye of its melodic storm.” More succinctly Friska Viljor's music in general has been called “shambolic, euphoric indie pop.”
Ironically My Boys song is a whinge about how to overcome angst brought on by fatherhood. Though you know they found the answer in this upbeat piece of malarky. It pops like a fourteen year old girls cherry and bounces like you flipped her over to do her like a fourteen year old boy. The verses snap and pop but the chorus is a violin assisted choral all in that charges like a racing horse. A white horse. Pure joy. You’d have to be broken inside not to love it.


“No weight upon my chest
Now I'm sleeping through the night
And I know its my final choice
And I owe it all to them my boys”


 

 

Shit you need to know:
Friska Viljor have vowed never to compose songs while sober.

They describe their music as “sauna rock with poppy elements and folky instrumentation.”
According to the Friska Viljor the new album has “...energy, horns, strings and big epic choruses.”

Friska Viljor have been compared to Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes, The Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men.
 
The band name means “healthy mind” but is meant to be ironic.

More brilliant Friska Viljor songs that will re-affrim your love for life are Bite Your Head Off and In My Sofa I’m Safe.





 


The dodgy double dip comes courtesy of American alternative rock band R.E.M today and their 1994 hit What’s The Frequency Kenneth. Because it’s as solid as Dwayne Johnson’s hard-on.

“You said that irony was the shackles of youth”

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment