Saturday 19 March 2016

Otherkin - I Was Born






1.    Who are these soldiers of rock?

Otherkin are a grunge pop band from Dublin, Ireland. They kicked off in 2013 and have two short players to their roll of honor. I Was Born (Feb’16) is the lead single from Otherkin’s second short player The New Vice (April’16).


2. What kind of essential brilliance are Otherkin touting?

I Was Born is a cracking charge up the guts that is more punk than pop and more rock than roll. Hold onto your knickers because I Was Born will blow your pants off without so much as a chat up line.



3. Who do these rock gods sould like?

FIDLAR. I Was Born was compared to The Strokes and The Vaccines by It's All Indie. While Lost In The Manor were feeling The Foo Fighters.


4. What have the cut and paste bandits said about I Was Born?


“Whip-cracking epic” – It’s All Indie.


“Dynamic riffs and a big anthem sound” – Ceol Caint.


“Heavyweight thumper” – Headphone Jacks.


 




5. Who put the bang into Otherkin’s blast?

Otherkin are influenced by old school English punk like The Clash and The Sex Pistols and have said that The Stroke's Is This It? is their benchmark.


6. Why should I give I Was Born a poke with a stick?

I Was Born melds new century American garage rock with old school English punk to create a noisy hybrid with more bang than a space shuttle malfunction.


 7. Do Otherkin have any more crackers?
Don't fuck about, listen to Ay Ay now. Ay Ay is like The Vines with a sense of purpose. Feel It  has lashings of American garage rock and is sound as a pound too.

 8. Any more words?
Otherkin have fluffed at shows for Parquet Courts and Palma Violets.

“It’s alright, it’s OK”

Reinforcements are from the big guns of Broadway Calls. The punk band from Ranier, Oregon, fired up in 2005 and have three long players to pin to their pole. Fuck me dead but it’s hard to pick just one standout track from these punk gods. Wake Up Call blasts off Broadway Calls' second big player, Good View, Bad News (2009), that was produced by Descendents drummer Bill Stevenson and Absolute Punk called it “the best pop-punk record of the year,” and on the topic of Wake Up Call reviewers All Music were succinct, “anthemic.”

“For nights like this I trade my days”








No comments:

Post a Comment